HijackThis 2.0.3 Beta
Windows (All Versions)
User Rating:Click to vote
Author / Product:
Unlike other software that relies on pre-built databases to detect malware, HiJackThis Fork primarily focuses on detecting hijacking methods. This allows it to detect new or previously unknown malware, but it also means that it cannot distinguish between safe and unsafe items. As a result, users are expected to research all scanned items thoroughly and only remove items from their PC when it is absolutely necessary.
It is important to note that false positives are likely to occur while using the tool. If you are ever unsure about whether to remove an item or not, it is recommended that you consult with an expert before deleting anything to avoid any potential damage to your system.
HijackThis offers several helpful tools for manual malware removal, including:
- StartupList 2 (a new addition to the software)
- Process Manager
- Uninstall Manager
- Hosts File Manager
- Alternative Data Spy
- Delete File/Service Staff
- Digital Signature Checker (another new addition)
- Registry Key Unlocker (new)
- Files Unlocker (new)
- Check Browsers' LNK and ClearLNK (as downloadable components, also new)
- Identifies non-default settings in the registry, hard drive, and memory that are related to autostart.
- Generates reports that are organized and easy to read.
- Does not rely on a pre-existing database of specific malware or adware.
- Detects potential methods used by hijackers.
- Can be configured to perform automatic scans at system boot-up.
Is HijackThis Fork safe to use?
HijackThis Fork is a safe tool to use as long as you exercise caution and carefully consider the potential consequences of each change before making any modifications to your computer's settings. False positives are likely to occur, and inexperienced users could accidentally remove necessary files or settings, leading to system instability. It is best to consult with a knowledgeable expert if you are ever unsure about a detected item.
How can I use HijackThis Fork to remove malware from my computer?
It does not provide automatic removal of detected threats. Instead, it generates reports that users must review manually and create fixing scripts themselves. The software also comes with several helpful tools for manual malware removal, such as Process Manager and Digital Signature Checker. However, it is important to note that making changes without fully understanding their impact could potentially lead to unintended consequences or system instability.
Does HijackThis Fork provide real-time protection?
No, it does not provide real-time protection. It is a scanning tool that generates reports of non-default settings in the registry, hard drive, and memory related to autostart. Users must manually review these reports and create fixing scripts themselves.
Malwarebytes: This software is a popular choice for malware detection and removal. It features real-time protection, automatic updates, and a user-friendly interface.
AdwCleaner: This app is specifically designed to detect and remove adware, browser hijackers, and potentially unwanted programs. It is known for its fast scanning and easy-to-use interface.
Spybot Search & Destroy: It offers both malware detection and removal as well as system optimization tools. It is known for its ability to detect and remove even the most stubborn of malware.
SUPERAntiSpyware: It offers advanced malware detection and removal capabilities, including the ability to remove stubborn threats such as rootkits and spyware. It also includes a range of system optimization tools.
ComboFix: A powerful tool that is specifically designed to remove malware, spyware, and other types of malicious software. It is known for its ability to detect and remove even the most advanced threats, but should only be used by advanced users due to its potential for causing system damage if used improperly.
Microsoft™ Windows™ 11 / 10 / 8.1 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP / 2000 (32/64-bit desktop and server)
- Generates concise logs that are easy to review
- Performs fast scans to detect potential threats quickly
- Automatically creates fixing scripts without any manual intervention
- Does not require Internet access or recurring database updates
- A widely-known and familiar tool to many users
- Can be run as a portable application on a USB drive, making it easy to use on different computers.
- False positives are likely to occur, meaning that the software may flag safe items as potentially harmful, leading users to remove them unnecessarily.
- The software primarily focuses on detecting hijacking methods and does not distinguish between safe and unsafe items, which means that users must have a good understanding of the system's configuration and settings to avoid accidental removal of necessary files or settings.
- The software does not provide any real-time protection or automatic removal of detected threats. Instead, users must review the generated reports manually and create fixing scripts themselves.
All in all, HijackThis Fork is a free utility for Windows that can help detect potential malware, adware, and other unwanted programs on your computer. While the software can quickly generate organized, easily readable reports of non-default settings in the registry, hard drive, and memory related to autostart, it primarily focuses on detecting hijacking methods and does not distinguish between safe and unsafe items. This means that users must have a good understanding of their system's configuration and settings to avoid accidentally removing necessary files or settings.
Additionally, the software does not provide any real-time protection or automatic removal of detected threats. Instead, users must review the generated reports manually and create fixing scripts themselves. While HijackThis Fork offers several helpful tools for manual malware removal, such as Process Manager and Digital Signature Checker, false positives are likely to occur, which could lead users to remove safe items unnecessarily.
Therefore, it can be a useful tool in identifying potential threats, but it requires caution and expertise to use effectively. If you are ever unsure about a detected item, it is best to consult with a knowledgeable expert before making any changes to your system's settings.